| NEWS | ESTATES | WINES | LABELS | DISTRIBUTION | KNOWLEDGE | VINTAGES | LINKS | ABOUT US |

J.J. Prüm Estate

Mosel valley
Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region
Germany

For centuries the Prüm family has called the village of Wehlen home. Their ancestors were living in or near Wehlen as early as the year 1156.

The Prüm estate as we know it today began with Sebastian Alois Prüm. His brother Jodocus constructed both of the famous Wehlener and Zeltinger sundials (Sonnenuhr). Of his six sons only Mathais married.

Johann Josef Prüm (1873 - 1944), the son of Mathias, founded the J.J. Prüm estate in 1911.

After World War I, in 1920, because he was suffering from poor health he brought his son Sebastian into the firm. Sebastian set out to produce the very highest quality Riesling wines, and these later achieved phenomenal prices at the annual Trier auctions. His 1949 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Trockenbeerenauslese, for example, fetched 1,500 DM ($652) at the 1974 auction. He has received may tributes, including the title of Ökonomierat (Economic Counselor) in 1965.

Dr. Manfred Prüm

Since Sebastian's death in 1969, his son Dr. Manfred Prüm, leads the estate and continues the legacy.

The J.J. Prüm wines have a reputation for being very long-lived and Dr. Prüm suggests that even his Kabinett wines be cellared for five years. Unlike his late father, Manfred prefers to drink the light and racy Kabinett's which are so typical of the region. As for his great late-harvest Rieslings, he chooses to share these with experienced wine-tasting colleagues.

The 33.5 acre estate consists of nearly 70% ungrafted vines. Holdings are in the best parts of the top Middle-Mosel sites: Wehlener Sonnenuhr, Zeltinger Sonnenuhr, Graacher Himmelreich, Graacher Domprobst, Bernkasteler Lay, Bernkasteler Badstube, and Bernkasteler Bratenhöfchen. The estate also has holdings in the following lesser-known vineyards: Wehlener Klosterberg, Wehlener Rosenberg, Wehlener Nonnenberg, Bernkasteler Johannisbrünnchen, and Bernkasteler Schlossberg. Plantings of the estate are 95% Riesling and are entirely on steeply sloping Devon schist soil. The remaining 5% is planted to Optima which is found in the Wehlener Nonnenberg only.

Average annual production is 13,000 cases. The harvest at J.J. Prüm is always extremely late. For example in 1981, the harvest was still not finished on November 9th. This involves great risk, but can also result in wines of superb quality. A 1955 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese consumed in 1981 was still marvelously fresh and drinkable - one again demonstrating the longevity of fine Mosel Riesling. The 1949 Wehlener-Zeltinger Sonnenuhr TBA will last well beyond the year 2000. Obviously the wines of J.J. Prüm have earned a special place in the ranks of the world's greatest wines.

The J.J. Prüm Estate is a member of the VDP Mosel-Saar-Ruwer.

Thumbnail Pictures
(click to enlarge):

Owner / winemaker
Dr. Manfred Prüm

the Prüms with
Rudi Wiest

Wehlener Sonnenuhr

Dr. Manfred Prüm and his wife Amai

the legendary 1949 TBA

Graacher Himmelreich

Estate Profile:

Estate:

Johann Josef Prüm Estate
Uferallee 19, 54470 Wehlen / Germany
ph +49 (0) 6531-3091
e-mail: none

Owner:

Dr. Manfred Prüm

Winemaker:

Dr. Manfred Prüm

Appellation:

Mosel-Saar-Ruwer , Germany

Production:

10 000 cases

Grapes:

14 ha (35 acres)
100% Riesling

Wines:

Dr. Manfred Prüm Estate Riesling
Graacher Himmelreich vineyard wines
Wehlener Sonnenuhr vineyard wines
Dessertwines

US importer:

Rudi Wiest Selections by Cellars International
1780 La Costa Meadows Drive, Suite # 100
San Marcos, CA 92078
ph 760.566.0499 - fax 760.566.0533
e-mail: info@germanwine.net / web: www.germanwine.net